TWVRPS Donates Lost Engines Appeal Funds to Roanoke Chapter, NRHS
September 24, 2009
Natural Bridge, VA: The Western Virginia Railroad Preservation Society (TWVRPS) launched its Lost Engines Fundraising Appeal in the summer of 2008 to support the rescue of the historic steam and diesel locomotives and rolling stock from the former Virginia Scrap Iron & Metal yard in Roanoke. In all, TWVRPS raised $3948, after expenses.
In August of 2009, the “Lost Engines” were successfully removed from the yard, with funding provided by the Railroad Museum of Virginia in Portsmouth, VA, and equipment and manpower for the move provided by North Fork Lumber of Goshen, VA. For their contribution, the Railroad Museum of Virginia received N&W steam locomotive no. 1134 and one of the tenders from the scrapyard, while Mr. Will Harris of North Fork Lumber was given N&W 1118 and the flatcar. Roanoke-built steam locomotive no. 1151, Chesapeake Western diesel no. 662, and the other tender went to the Virginia Museum of Transportation (VMT) in Roanoke.
Also instrumental in the move was the Roanoke Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society, which provided the use of their 9th Street yard as a staging area for both the move and the cosmetic restoration of N&W 1134. The Roanoke Chapter also traded their E.J. Lavino 0-6-0T no.34 to Will Harris in exchange for N&W 1118, and took on the cosmetic restoration of Chesapeake Western 662 for the VMT in exchange for the unclaimed no. 663, which had been threatened with scrapping. The Chapter is setting up a dedicated fund for the restoration of N&W 1118, Chesapeake Western 663, and the VMT’s no. 662.
Now that the locomotives are saved and the long process of restoration has begun, TWVRPS has chosen to donate the funds it raised in the Lost Engines appeal to the Roanoke Chapter, NRHS to support its efforts to restore these historic locomotives. TWVRPS members, including the society’s president Andrew Martin, and Richard Jenkins of the Lost Engines of Roanoke website, will be on hand at the Roanoke Chapter’s open house at the 9th Street yard in Roanoke on Saturday, September 26th to present the Chapter with a check for $2000. The remainder will be given at a later date, after outstanding pledges have been collected. TWVRPS would like to encourage all who have followed the “Lost Engines” saga over the years to join them in their support of the Roanoke Chapter.
The Western Virginia Railroad Preservation Society is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to preserving and interpreting the history of railroading in western Virginia. For more information about TWVRPS, please visit www.twvrps.org.